Pre-season Water Polo photo story

• Pictured above, Sophomore Niklas Edstrom leaps out of the water mid-tread Practices often start with warmups that consist of swimming laps, the goalies on both the girls and boys team often use this time to practice their drill separately. “This season I personally look forward to my first season as goalkeeper” says Edstrom, “but for the team I am looking forward to the Seminole game.”

Photo provided by: Aurora Jimenez Castro

• A co-ed team scrimmage takes place at the end of nearly every practice. The scrimmages are a way for the coaches to see the teams’ strengths and how individual players perform in the chaos of waves and noise. The scrimmages combine everything players learned during the two hour practice.

• Junior Carson Cashion and Freshman Nicholas Vakordjian do the same defense dill. This is Cashion's second year on the team, and although season has not started yet showing up to practices has still been a priority. For the boys team there is one overarching goal, to beat rival team Seminole.

• Sophomore Alexander Nyugen is seen here practicing a defense drill. By holding his hand up high this drill emphasizes both defense skills and steadiness for the offensive player. Due to the fact that water polo is a full contact sport these drills often involve a lot of pushing and splashing.

• The signature bright yellow water polo ball is hurled across the pool to Sophomore Isaac Benjamin. While attempting to catch passes players must also tread to keep their heads and shoulders above the water. The constant movement is one of the reasons why water polo is considered one of the most challenging sports of all time.

• Senior Morgan Whipple and Junior Carrlee Crocker use their short water break, often used to take lanes lines out of the pool, to have some fun. “Preseason as a whole can be grueling, ”says Whipple. "But to me I think the dryland practices and leg sets are the most grueling."

• The goalies for both teams, Sophomores Emma Morgan, Niklas Edstrom, and Isaac Benjamin practice placement and guarding the goal. The girls team has one goalie this year, Emma Morgan. Morgan has been attending pre-season practices and doing rigorous drills alongside the other goalies for the boys team.

• Sophomores Carrlee Crocker and Catherine Hill practice passing after drills. When passing players emphasize making sure that their elbows are not underwater. For Crocker this is her second year as a starter. A starter is a player who goes first into the pool during games, and often are strong leaders for their fellow teammates.

• Sophomore Miles Banks starts passing and treading drills with Freshman Nicholas Vakordjian practice passing along lane lines. These passing drills are often at the beginning of practice when the lane lines are in the water. This is so players can tread up and down along the pool while passing.

• Sophomores Catherine Hill and Carrlee Crocker along with Senior Morgan Whipple practice passing along the lane lines. “This season I’m really looking forward to coming back as a stronger force together and winning some games with my girls.” says Whipple. This is Whipple’s senior year, making this upcoming season her last.

Water polo is a spring season sport, but during the fall and winter season both the boys and girls teams are in the pool practicing. Pre-season practices are held to see players strengths and weaknesses and improve before season starts. It is also a chance for potential new players to try their hand in the grueling sport. Both teams have many goals this year, including beating rival team Seminole, so these two hour practices are taken seriously. With swimming laps as a warm up, along with the occasional “dryland” exercise, like running and stretching, these practices are jam packed. Players pass to each other, stage defensive plays and scrimmage to polish their skills.