The Importance of Practices

+At+the+James+M.+Sprinkle+Aquatic+Center%2C+the+club+water+polo+team+practices+on+Thursday+night%2C+Jan.+11+Center.+During+the+practice%2C+the+team+members+ran+drills+to+prepare+themselves+for+the+upcoming+tournament+on+Saturday+the+13th+.+%E2%80%9CIt%27s+through+practice+that+we+teach+them+how+to+put+themselves+into+opportunistic+positions+and+then+how+to+capitalize+when+those+opportunities+arise+in+games%2C%E2%80%9D+varsity+water+polo+coach+Matt+Tomlinson+said.
 At the James M. Sprinkle Aquatic Center, the club water polo team practices on Thursday night, Jan. 11 Center. During the practice, the team members ran drills to prepare themselves for the upcoming tournament on Saturday the 13th . “It's through practice that we teach them how to put themselves into opportunistic positions and then how to capitalize when those opportunities arise in games,” varsity water polo coach Matt Tomlinson said.

Photo provided by: Joelle Wittig

Photo provided by: Joelle Wittig

Joelle Wittig, Staff Reporter

Within modern education, participating in extracurricular activities plays a large role in student life. Many students engage in sports to pass time and stay in shape throughout high school. From soccer to pole vaulting, practice is a major factor affecting student success and is often overlooked. The team and coaches push to practice hard daily to prepare for competitions.

“Practices for all sports are very important because they train us to work hard, not only on the fundamentals and conditioning, but also for gameplays and scrimmages,” varsity basketball player and sophomore Anayansi Santiago said. “These practices prepare us for games, competitions, or tournaments that we have when we’re up against other teams.”

Not only does practice help prepare the team to win, but it also enhances the way the team works together. Student athletes often forget the importance of how each role helps to build the team. By being accustomed to the team members and knowing how they play and think, the team performs better as a unit.

We go hard in practice and I demand their full attention,” boys varsity baseball coach Eric Entrekin said. “Communication is very key to any successful team sport. The players must get to know each other and how each individual player plays and practice can do that.”

Practice also gives opportunity to set and work on both individual and team goals. During practices players are prone to make mistakes but it is taken as an opportunity for the team to learn and grow. By practicing consistently the team develops a flow which helps them succeed when they move on to competitions. As goals are accomplished during practices, team members build confidence to execute what they have worked on.

“We practice at an intense level so we can prepare our players for the rigors of the game,” varsity water polo coach Matt Tomlinson said. “We put them in game like situations and teach them how to create advantages and avoid disadvantageous situations. It is through this type of preparation that they develop the confidence and trust in each other that allows us to be successful.”

About the Contributor
Joelle Wittig, Reporter
Joelle Wittig is a sophomore and first year staff member. She is ecstatic to become closer with everyone on staff along with helping to create The Brantley Banner. Joelle enjoys writing and is hoping that her time on staff will help her grow in that field. Besides writing, Joelle has many passions that help to...